Naughty: 6 Sugary Food Groups That Aggravate Acne; Nice: Staying Hydrated
Sugar is notoriously naughty for our skin and overall health. In your skin, sugar causes a cascade of inflammatory responses that flush in the skin and an overabundance of oil production. Together, this is the perfect marriage for clogged pores. Sugar is problematic for folliculitis (little bumpy breakouts that feel like braille), as well as all those painful inflammatory breakouts around the cheeks and chin.
Sugar is terrible for us, and yet it is everywhere. It sneaks into our diet, even in things that aren’t sweet. Sometimes sugar is easy to spot, but other times we might not recognize it. Did you know that things like pasta and bread made with white flour basically turn into sugar in our bodies?
High Glycemic Food Types to Avoid or Minimize
- Boba, soda, milkshakes, iced lattes
- Flavored coffee drinks, hot cocoa,
- Beer, cider, wine, alcohol
- Pasta, pizza, bread
andother carbohydrate richfoods made with white refined grains
- Pastries, donuts, cake, cookies…even if they are
gluten freeor vegan, they still have sugar!
- Chocolate, candies, and gum
Nice: Hydrating Inside & Out
When it comes to hydration and water, you always want to sandwich your skin. By that, we mean you need to ensure you are getting water topically as well as internally at the same time.
Dehydration and hydration have to do with the water levels in your skin, whereas dry and has to do with the oil levels in your skin. Yes, even if your skin is oily, it can be dehydrated. When your skin is dehydrated, it starts to get irritated, red, itchy and can contribute painful breakouts. In addition to a lackluster complexion, dehydrated skin can also make you appear prematurely age your skin by making expression lines stick after facial movement! Below are tips for keeping your skin hydrated.
- You want to make sure that you are drinking enough water daily
- Maximize the water-rich fruits and veggies in your diet
- If you are at a holiday party, try to have a glass of water between cocktails
- Minimize salty processed foods like pizza, chips, fast foods, fried foods
- Keep an eye on caffeine intake