ACNE MYTH: It’s okay to use a lip balm with clogging ingredients because you only put it on your lips.
Keeping your lips kissably soft and acne-safe is a way to love yourself (and possibly others) this Valentine’s Day. It’s no secret that keeping your lips plump, soft, and moisturized with a lip balm is the way to go. The challenge is finding a lip balm that is acne safe for the surrounding skin.
If your lip balm has clogging ingredients, it can break you out! Lip balms are notorious for traveling all over your lower face in small amounts and since it’s clear we don’t even usually notice that they are getting to your: lip line, upper lip, chin, and sides of the mouth. And if you sleep with your lip balm on, then it gets on your pillowcase, and can even get to other areas as far as your cheeks.
NATURAL INGREDIENTS STILL CLOG PORES
Even if your lip balm contains organic or natural ingredients, those oils can still clog your pores. Clogging ingredients doesn’t necessarily mean that they are “bad” ingredients, it just means they are small enough to slip into your pores. Whether the oils are organic or synthetic doesn’t matter.
Simply put: When oil and dead skin cells come together, you get a clog.
Are you carrying a lip balm now? Check it against the pore clogging list on PoreCloggers.com. Compare the ingredients of your product to see if it is clogger-free and #acnesafe. We want to make sure your perfect pucker isn’t compromising your complexion!
PRO TIP FOR DRY LIPS: Lips feeling a little extra dry? Try a little organic sunflower or safflower oil (these are safer oils) underneath your Aquaphor Original Healing, Vaseline Original Petroleum Jelly, or acnes-afe lip balm.
#ACNESAFE LIP BALMS
- Eucerin Aquaphor Healing Ointment (NOT lip repair version)
- The Merry Hempsters Vegan Hemp Lip Balm (vegan/bee-free)
- Priia Acne-Safe Lip Care with Green Tea
- Vaseline Original Petroleum Jelly
- Vaseline Lip Therapy Tin in Aloe (other flavors unsafe)
Need some color in your life?
PRO TIP FOR TINTED LIPS: double-check each shade’s ingredients against the pore clogging list (insert list link)- it may have different dyes, pigments, and D&C colors that are clogging
ACNE-SAFE LIP COLOR
- Pharmaceutical Specialties Vanicream Lip Protectant SPF 30 (doubles as SPF for lips)
- Benefit BeneTint Lip Stain
- Colorscience Sunforgettable Lip Shine SPF35 (doubles as SPF for lips)
- Eve Lom Kiss Mix Lippy
- Lily Lolo Lipstick (Gluten-Free)
- NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil
- NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream
- Revlon Balm Stain
- Tarte Tartiest Quick Dry Matte Lip Paint (Vegan)
- Vapour Organic Beauty Elixir Lip Plumping Gloss
- Vapour Organic Beauty Lipstick
Do you have your own favorite brands? Share with us on Facebook!