Do you ever use a sulfate-free shampoo, and feel like your hair didn’t get completely cleaned? If so, you might be wondering if you’re not using acne-safe shampoo. But if you double-checked the ingredients against our Pore Cloggers list and confirmed that your shampoo is acne-safe, then you might be shampooing your hair wrong!
We talked to expert stylist Alison Sloman of Stem Salon. She says most of her clients using sulfate-free shampoos make the same mistake!
“Using lower surfactant shampoos, like sulfate-free, requires multiple washings to properly cleanse scalp and hair. That’s especially true for those of us who are particularly oily, use dry shampoo or go every other day in between washing,” said Alison.
So what’s the best way to wash your hair with sulfate-free shampoo? Here are Alison’s steps:
- Thoroughly wet your hair first, shampooing once, being sure to actually cleanse/scrub the scalp, getting into the nape.
- Rinse a bit and add more shampoo.
- Repeat these steps until it suds, rinse thoroughly.
- Condition mid-lengths and ends only and rinse until you feel no residue.
From the Acne Specialists team, here are our top three favorite acne-safe shampoos (as of 6/6/18)*:
- Shampure Shampoo 8.5 oz
- GIOVANNI Tea Tree Triple Treat Invigorating Shampoo, 8.5 Oz
- DevaCurl Low-Poo Original 32oz (Not No Poo)
*as an Acne Specialist client you have access to all of our acne-safe lists, including acne-safe haircare